Cooling and smooth running

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
KBUK

Cooling and smooth running

Post by KBUK » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:31 pm

Need some help guys, Hayes can only do so much before you have to rely on the Wizards of the UK Probe Owners Club...

Two parts:
So had a great day in the rain today, replaced my radiator for a new rockauto especial. No more leaking from rad :)). There is however a leak from the right side radiator fill cap reservoir underneath, anyone had this before?? Seems no matter what I do It will leak / smoke after 5 minutes or so (albeit the temps are now "normal"). Are these common issues?

I going to drive next couple of days and do a few radiator flushs to get everything super clean as it looks like I have tadpoles I'm the new coolant already.. plus will give me chance to check for any overheating concerns again..

Second part, it doesn't drive like it used too. Not as smooth as it once was, judders, idle jumps around sometimes, one of the fans doesn't work etc etc. Any tips for getting it back to how it should be?

Incognito

Re: Cooling and smooth running

Post by Incognito » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:08 am

Could be a hairline split in the little black plastic reservoir that the right hand cap goes on, I've had to replace mine twice.
I think I'm right in saying that the left hand side fan never does kick in, only the right hand side when up to temperature.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:17 pm

I think the right hand one kicks in for aircon.
Member no: 227
Drives: 2x 24V - Japha and Chewie

Jon G 24V
Tech Rep

Post by Jon G 24V » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:22 pm

As said probably a Hairline Crack in the Black Reservoir so would need another one.

As you stand at the front of the Car Left Hand Fan is for A/C and Right Hand come on for Water Temperature. If the A/C is off only the right hand fan should kick in and out as the Car gets hot.

Rough running and idle could be Airlocks in the Coolant following the Rad Change.

KBUK

Post by KBUK » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:25 pm

Thanks for the feedback chaps!

Anyone know where I can get the reservoir?

Juddering etc has been an ongoing thing for some time.

That is interesting
"As you stand at the front of the Car Left Hand Fan is for A/C and Right Hand come on for Water Temperature. If the A/C is off only the right hand fan should kick in and out as the Car gets hot."

Right hand fan doens't kick in but the left does, even with AC off.

Even more concerning... having flushed the coolant again I see a small film of colour that could be oil... Whether this is from the drain hose that is covered in grime or something worse I'm yet to find out. Assuming worst case scenario, how hard is it to change headgasket? :|

Jon G 24V
Tech Rep

Post by Jon G 24V » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:35 pm

If the right hand fan is not coming on at all then it could be a faulty Fan Motor, a faulty relay or it could be the Engine Management Temp Sensor that's playing up.
Might be worth changing the EM Temp Sensor as this tells the ECU what Temp the Engine is running at which if faulty could be a cause of the lumpy running etc.
Head Gaskets are quite involved ie Cambelt has to come off, Inlet Manifold, Rocker Covers and then the Cams themselves need to be removed to get to the Headbolts.
These have to be timed together when fitted back into the Head and you have to ensure all the Bearing Caps etc go back in exactly the same position they were removed from because one cap might wear slightly differently to the next and this can cause Oil Pressure Problems if they are not put back in the correct place / order.

You need to be quite good with the Spanners to attempt this Job.

KBUK

Post by KBUK » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:18 am

Checked the motor with a 12v battery and a flashlight.
Checked the relay with a 12v battery and swapped out.
Changed engine temp sensor?? The one near the dipstick?

KBUK

Post by KBUK » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:20 am

Anyone know anyone who is capable of replacing the head gasket and familiar with probes? :D

I have a small suspicion that the previous mechanic missed quite a few bits when he did the rocker covers as I'd had to reattach one of the vaccum lines :|

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:40 am

I would assume that a pressure test would be undertaken first before you take the plunge and go for a head gasket replacement, because as already mentioned, to do it correctly, it would involve a head skim x 2, as it would make sense to do both heads at the same time?

to try and answer your question as to anyone who could change it, that all depends on where you are based I guess and how desperate you are to get it fixed?
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

Jon G 24V
Tech Rep

Post by Jon G 24V » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:11 pm

KBUK wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:18 am
Checked the motor with a 12v battery and a flashlight.
Checked the relay with a 12v battery and swapped out.
Changed engine temp sensor?? The one near the dipstick?
There should 2 sensors near the Dipstick.
One has just a Single Spade Connector going to it and this is for the Temp Gauge.
The other has a Plug on Top, this is the EM Temp Sensor 8-)