Drivetrain / Transmission Query

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
dexterartois

Drivetrain / Transmission Query

Post by dexterartois » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:44 pm

Hi guys, I just had a quick question - I recently had the front of my probe jacked up (so both front wheels are off the ground) as i'm investing a heavy oil leak and was checking the clutch slave cylinder as the clutch felt like it dropped a bit recently. Anyways i was pumping my clutch looking for hydraulic fluid leaks whilst having a friend checking everythings working as it should, so i popped it into 2nd gear to see how it felt and noticed that only the left wheel was spinning. There was no movement on the right side along the driveshaft and the wheel wasnt spinning at all. I popped it back into neutral and noticed the osf wheel was quite stuff to turn / spin so it seems the brakes might be binding a little. My friend instantly assumed there was a gearbox problem and that the internal driveshaft is shot inside the gearbox which is why i have no drive on that side.

Could anyone shed some light on this please? apologises for being long winded about it. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

p.s i only tried the car in 2nd gear.

dexterartois

Re: Drivetrain / Transmission Query

Post by dexterartois » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:54 pm

My car is a 1994 ford probe 2.0 16v for a anyone that might want to know. Thanks

jrh

Post by jrh » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:04 am

An easy check.
Drop the wheel that was turning on the ground.
Pull the handbrake really tight on.
Lift the wheel that did not turn well clear of the ground.
Gear in neutral.
Now try to turn it by hand.
Listen and feel what happens.
If all ok, start engine, gently engage 1st gear, listen again.
Should tell you all you need to know.

dexterartois

Post by dexterartois » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:59 pm

I done those checks and also asoon as i took the osf wheel off and left the nsf wheel on - it started sending drive to the off side which i was very pleased about.

thanks for you help and reply though