Nearly ready to start on Japha again

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Scooby

Nearly ready to start on Japha again

Post by Scooby » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:30 am

Folks,

My Saudi adventure is shortly to come to an end an I'll be Blighty-based once more, so it's time to try to fix my long-term non-running Japha.

For a recap, car turns over but doesn't start, cooling fan is running constantly with ignition on.
'
95 24v with mobi removed.

All connections checked and everything is fine. (Even did the CPS trick but nothing.)
Did have earthing issue immediately after rebuild (post re-spray) because the dash wasn't fitted correctly by the painter.
Got that fixed, did a long run then car ran rough for a few miles before dying completely. (While driving it seemed like it was cutting out every 1-2 seconds before jump starting itself again. Idled fine.

Had a comment that it could be TPS related so fitted a spare I have but apparently I didn't fit it correctly. (didn't have the jumpers in place while doing it.)

My main question is: I've purchased a 'NEW' dizzy from t'interweb (£225!!!) but I don't want to run the risk of frying it first time out of the box.
What should I check BEFORE I put my new dizzy into the firing line to try to protect it?
Member no: 227
Drives: 2x 24V - Japha and Chewie

Jon G 24V
Tech Rep

Re: Nearly ready to start on Japha again

Post by Jon G 24V » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:14 pm

First thing i'd do is get the TPS to do what it's supposed to.
With the Link in Place and the Ignition on (Engine off) the Fans should be off.
If not make sure the Throttle Body is free and fully close. Then tweak the TPS position until the Fans go off.
If they don't then it could be a faulty TPS.

The sweat spot is to get it to such a position where the Fans come on with only the slightest touch on the Throttle Body but go off again when you let go.
If you don't get this right then the ECU will never know when the Car is supposed to be at Idle.

Scooby

Re: Nearly ready to start on Japha again

Post by Scooby » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:53 pm

Cheers Jon.
Member no: 227
Drives: 2x 24V - Japha and Chewie