Tappet rattle

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Sunfly

Tappet rattle

Post by Sunfly » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:26 am

I have what sounds like a tappet rattle. Most noticeable at about 1000rpm but silent at driving speed. Its been slowly getting worse over a period of about 5k miles.

How easy/difficult a job is it to change the tappets? Without having looked at the job, I'm assuming the heads and manifolds stay in place and its just a matter of removing the dizzy, cam covers and camshafts. Are there any special tools involved, nightmare screws, major dismantling required? Any advice on sourcing the parts and what is required?

Many thanks

Bob

jrh

Re: Tappet rattle

Post by jrh » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:03 am

I think I would try and get some earplugs for the first 1000rpm Bob, it mlght be cheaper !
Some will say it is caused by the lash adjuster wear, others not using flushing oil after every oil change.
Whatever, it can be like chasing rainbows.

Incognito

Post by Incognito » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:54 pm

I have the same issue, always have had. An oil change and HLA treatment help somewhat but doesn't cure it.

Paul.

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:13 am

Its not super bad but it does annoy me that its there! I'm off to Ryhope end of the moth so I'll get everyone to have a listen!

Look after the oil and the oil will look after you has always been my mantra, but the bozo I bought the car from was running it into the ground. No service in 5 years!

Its had 1 flush and three oil changes since I've had it (6000miles over 4 years) and the oil looks great (in fairness it looked good when I bought it despite his best efforts) so I don't think its gummed up, I think it more likely to be wear.

So... If I was daft enough - and I am...! What would I live to regret if I looked to change a set of tappets?

Jon G 24V
Tech Rep

Post by Jon G 24V » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:10 pm

Hey Bob.

To change them out you would need both Cam Covers off, so that means Inlet Manifold as well to get the back one off.
Then you need the Cambelt off.
Then you need to remove all 4 Cams keeping the Caps and bolts in the original positions.
These will need to be timed together on each head when refitting them.
HLA's should come out with a Strong Magnet and they can be stripped and cleaned or replaced with new.

Not a job for the faint hearted and think it would be quite expensive in parts etc.

Every Probe i've ever heard sounds ticky so i'm not sure what you would gain really.

Just started mine up this morning after a good run yesterday and it's ticking like a clock.
Switch off and on again does sometimes help as it can fill a drained one if it's happens to stop in the Fully compressed position.
Have tried HLA Treatments and regular Oil changes myself and it's good for the Engine but not sure it ever cures ticking completely.

fuerte

Post by fuerte » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:48 pm

I thought mine was sounding a bit ticky too the other day but as have 3 issues with it at the moment I am probably being sensitive.plus dont often hear the engine over my music or get under the bonnet with it running.
I swear by 3000 mile oil changes no flush.changing oil often flushes it anyway.It always seem to run smoother with new oil.
It is a balance between servicing and not fixing whats not broken.The latter I have learned to my cost.

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:19 am

Jon G 24V wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:10 pm
Hey Bob.

To change them out you would need both Cam Covers off, so that means Inlet Manifold as well to get the back one off.
Then you need to remove all 4 Cams keeping the Caps and bolts in the original positions.
HLA's should come out with a Strong Magnet and they can be stripped and cleaned or replaced with new.

Not a job for the faint hearted and think it would be quite expensive in parts etc.

Every Probe i've ever heard sounds ticky so i'm not sure what you would gain really.

Just started mine up this morning after a good run yesterday and it's ticking like a clock.
Switch off and on again does sometimes help as it can fill a drained one if it's happens to stop in the Fully compressed position.
Have tried HLA Treatments and regular Oil changes myself and it's good for the Engine but not sure it ever cures ticking completely.
Thanks for that info Jon, I notice that a tappet is £11 on Probe store, so 24 would add up as you and jrh have said, but I notice that wynn's do a valve lifter treatment that breaks down the lacquers and gums in dirty oil that cause the problem so at a tenner, that might be worth a shot. I'll be doing about a 1000mile round trip on our Ryhope adventure so that might be a good time to try it. See you there...?

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:42 am

Sunfly wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:19 am
Jon G 24V wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:10 pm
Hey Bob.

Thanks for that info Jon, I notice that a tappet is £11 on Probe store, so 24 would add up as you and jrh have said, but I notice that wynn's do a valve lifter treatment that breaks down the lacquers and gums in dirty oil that cause the problem so at a tenner, that might be worth a shot. I'll be doing about a 1000mile round trip on our Ryhope adventure so that might be a good time to try it. See you there...?

Do you remember the good old days when men were men and you had to do a de-coke every 10,000 miles and tappets were adjusted with feelers? You got a proper rattle for your money in those days! Then there was the timing chain rattling against the chain casing before eventually wearing through. People knew you were coming from miles away. These days you've got to fit a muffler to get yourself noticed but I suspect they are good value for money for all that! When tinnitus sets in you'll be hearing that old engine even when its not running.

fuerte

Post by fuerte » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:11 am

I know the name tappets but not sure where they are?Does the fuel get to them if sobworth putting a tank of v power by shell.It is supposed to clean up ceetain parts and it is generally agreed by some worth putting in occasionally even just a quarter of a tank.

mojo98
Tech Rep

Post by mojo98 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:11 pm

Just a thought, are you sure its the HLA`s or is it be the timing belt hydraulic pin adjuster, known it happen before, noisy when low revs but ok under load, we will get the opportunity later this month to listen to it :D