noisy hydraulic lifters

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Alan8086

noisy hydraulic lifters

Post by Alan8086 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:13 pm

Hi all - just a query about the lifters on my 24v. My Probe hasn't been started up for over a week until just now when I fit a new starter motor. It sounded REALLY tappetty - quite a row. Is that because the oil drains out of the lifter oilways after a week of inactivity?

I haven't taken it for a drive yet but it continues to sound tappety after several starts and some gentle revving. The oil pressure is good, the engine runs fine apart from that noise - what stops the lifter oilways just filling up and the noise goes away? Is it the wear on the tappets that prevents a good seal - so the oil goes elsewhere, or doesn't make it to where it should?

Replacing lifters is a big job right? Cams off, tappets out, pull the lifters etc? May as well change the timing belt and water pump at the same time? How long would replacement lifters likely last and is the wear on each lifter or the cylinder each one 'lives' in within the head?