Re: front down pipe removal-thanks everyone

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
fuerte

Re: front down pipe removal

Post by fuerte » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:38 pm

jrh wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:14 pm
You have the right manifold.
Problem is getting the nuts off the existing studs without shearing the studs, not easy.
The shame of it is, it used to be the kind of job I did for pleasure. If I only could do that again !
Yeah thats what the mechanic says.He is concerned he may shear them off.
The problem with a job like this is it ties their ramps up too long so if they are busy they wont attempt the job in case they do shear off.
I keep saying exhaust instead of downpipe.I can visualise the parts but forget the words.
I am sorry your health prevents you doing the jobs you used to love.But your support is willing them off for me.
I thought I could get it sorted this week but I have other things to tackle so armed with the information received today from all who posted I will have to look at it again some other time.
Look after yourself and keep aswell as you can.
Last edited by fuerte on Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

fuerte

Re: front down pipe removal

Post by fuerte » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:46 am

Kit wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:40 pm
Simple way to tell the two types of front pipes to KL 24v engine is

Early - with ‘pre-CAT’. There is no holes for the O2 sensor, the down pipe is shorter

Late type NO ‘pre-CAT’, there will be a treaded hole below the flange on each of the down pipe.
Plus the down pipe is longer.

Kit
Thanks Kit that was perfect.Just rang the mechanic and as everyone else on here said I do have the right downpipe.
All ebay sellers appear to be not recognising my car correctly whatever reference number system they use.
Printed your guide off in case anyone needs it in future.
Car having brakes fixed as I had a judder so it wasnt a wasted trip to the garage.
Thanks to everyone else who posted.