Reverse parking sensors not working

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
margledev

Reverse parking sensors not working

Post by margledev » Wed Oct 16, 2024 10:27 pm

Hi,

1996 24v Probe

Just bought a set of 'Dolphin' brand rear parking sensors.

Dry day this week so started to fit, bumper off, holes drilled, sensors fitted and cabled through into near-side of rear. Connected to control box and buzzer attached.

Power taken from near-side reversing light by connecting the sensor's red power wire to green reversing light's wire and black wire to black earth wire on lamp socket.

However, no power was found even though the reversing light came on with gear lever in reverse and ignition on / engine running.

How can that be?

I also tried a separate earth connection.

Surely the control box must be powered when connected to the reversing light?

I searched UKPOC and other sites for suggestions and found a post on a Honda owners club site that described an identical problem, contacted the person that posted the question, but he explained he is now 78 years old, the post was nearly 5 years ago, and he can not remember how he fixed it (he did get them working).

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks.

Glenn

Micron
Site Admin

Re: Reverse parking sensors not working

Post by Micron » Thu Oct 17, 2024 9:24 am

Hi Glenn,
Do you have a link to the product or at lease a wiring diagram?
How did you connect the red wire to the green wire?

Also some pictures might help?

I am slightly confused on one of your statements (unless you had someone else there). You state that you had it in reverse, ignition on and engine running, how did you check that it was getting 12 volts?

Edit, I found the product and I see there are only 2 wires.
Have you tried to apply 12v directly to the red wire, this will check the earth connection, likewise have you checked that you are getting 12v on the green wire when the car is in reverse and ignition on, but not started?

To me it sounds like a connection problem
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎