Clutch issue

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Scooby

Clutch issue

Post by Scooby » Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:47 am

Morning all. I'm after some tech guru knowledge. I drove Japha last evening to drop my friends daughter off at Prom. It was a lovely warm day and I drove quite slowly as I was early. I noticed the clutch pedal was getting lower and lower, until finally when I arrived at the venue, the pedal was on the floor and wouldn't return. The car sat in the main car park for a few seconds in 2nd gear, until it finally stalled. Pedal still on the floor.

After sitting for about half an hour I pulled the pedal up and managed to drive around to the front of the venue and drop said friends daughter off for her evening, before finding a parking space and shutting down normally. After an hour and a half spent talking to my friend and his wife (they followed on for photos etc), I set off home. Clutch was low but operational for the entire half hour drive, until I finally reached home and put it into reverse. Car reversed, but then wouldn't come out of gear, but also didn't stall. I shut off the engine, put it into neutral, restarted, and repositioned the car without further issue.

Any idea what the h3ll the issue might be? I checked the only fluid reservoir I'm aware of (bulkhead in front of driver) and it is full of fluid.
Member no: 227
Drives: 2x 24V - Japha and Chewie

cpt black
Tech Rep

Re: Clutch issue

Post by cpt black » Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:50 am

May need to bleed the clutch system ;)But check slave/master cylinder first for leaks first also check
clutch pipe under batterry tray ;)
then bleed system

mojo98
Tech Rep

Post by mojo98 » Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:35 pm

I'm with Kev, check the pipe under the the battery.
Then have somebody push the pedal while you watch the slave cylinder to see if it's working fully,
I'm did the same, I had the change the slave, but also the master had to the changed.

ICKLE
Site Admin

Post by ICKLE » Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:37 pm

yep check the clutch pipe under the battery it may have weakened and be bulging when you press the clutch or could be leaking ,,,happend to me a few years ago ;)

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Sat Jun 22, 2024 5:10 pm

Seals in the master clutch cylinder, are weak,
Replaced the cylinder, bleed system with fresh fluid

Kit

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sat Jun 22, 2024 5:35 pm

Ok. I spoke to my local MOT/mechanic about it he reckoned thrust plate. By the sounds of the advice so far, it doesn't look like I'll need to replace the clutch, which is a bonus!

Is there only the single reservoir serving both brakes and clutch?
Member no: 227
Drives: 2x 24V - Japha and Chewie

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:49 pm

Yep, the clutch is feed off the brake master cylinder, there a connecting pipe.

Kit