24v over fueling

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
cpt black
Tech Rep

24v over fueling

Post by cpt black » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:08 pm

Had a call from a Probe owner with the above fault car wont run any ideas welcome :?:

Micron
Site Admin

Re: 24v over fueling

Post by Micron » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:20 pm

I feel that we need more information.
What do they mean that it is over fuelling
Does it start, but won’t tick over
Have they done anything to it prior to this happening
Are the plugs getting wet, because it’s not burning the fuel?
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

cpt black
Tech Rep

Post by cpt black » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:23 am

It dosent start the garage was gonna tow start it :roll: apparently has spark just to much fuel
causeing it to flood and not start,it still has key fob immobiliser on it i believe it had the cam belt
done so maybe out/ owner has passed my number over to the garage
Strange ive never had this before so could be
timing out
immobiliser /ECU fault
FPR fault
CPS should be ok if has spark
possible dissy

mr moo

Post by mr moo » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:59 pm

It may have a spark outside the engine, but inside the cylinder conditions, it could well be very weak. Could be failing coil, timing out, or even HT leads in wrong order, I can't remember if there is a pressure regulator on them, could be failed injectors or they are being kept open all the time, The list is endless so work through the easy stuff first.
Cam timing could be out as you said but without inspecting everything before delving deeper, I'm in the dark

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:15 am

Was it running when it was last used but then would not start? If so, its the CPS system for my money. Only one of the two no start due to lockout faults that will cause this. You still get a spark from the dizzy but the engine doesnt know where the crank is so though everything else is good it wont allow a start. My problem was a CPS wire cut through by the pulley near the CPS. Somewhere in my posts of long ago I posted a list of faults and causes put together from ford fault codes by a chap in the states who clearly knew the engine well which is how I found this out. same problem as the notorious cps plug and socket of course!

Found the post "Need some Serious help please" posted by Sunfly, Sat 30th May 2020. All the codes, what they mean, what the sympoms are. Incidentally I had the CPS fault but no code!!!! All I had was emmission sensors which were not acually faulty so the codes were a massive red herring. Car is a 1997 24v.

cpt black
Tech Rep

Post by cpt black » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:47 pm

Good info Bob have passed on to the owner but i did say check the CPS as he had the cambelt etc done then stopped
working a month later and said check the wire has been zip tied to the dipstick and not nicked by the pulley ;)

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:13 pm

cpt black wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:47 pm
Good info Bob have passed on to the owner but i did say check the CPS as he had the cambelt etc done then stopped
working a month later and said check the wire has been zip tied to the dipstick and not nicked by the pulley ;)
as you said Kev, start with the easy stuff! Might be more than a coincidence that he gets this problem after a cambelt change.

mr moo

Post by mr moo » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:30 am

I'd be interested in the outcome, especially the over fuelling bit. Mine has always smelt rich, but this year is the first year it actually failed on CO. Last year it was high lambda, yet we got it down by shoving a rag in one of the tailpipes!

mr moo

Post by mr moo » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:54 am

Does anyone have a pic of the factory original O2 sensors?

I've found 3(!) but one has a fat slotted shield on the gas end and two have a smaller ends with punched holes.
I don't want to reuse buggered sensors :lol: