Cleaning plastic parts

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
colinrush

Cleaning plastic parts

Post by colinrush » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:57 pm

So after owning my 24v probe for the best part of 20 months, I can finally turn my attention to its restoration. The interior is filthy - smells like a breaker car and needs a thorough clean. Plan to remove seats and clean carpets with a spot washer however the plastic centre console etc has deep ingrained dirt and as I’m taking these off to replace the blower control, I was wondering if a quick cycle in the dishwasher on a 30 degree wash with no heat drying would do the job or would I wreck the pieces?

Micron
Site Admin

Re: Cleaning plastic parts

Post by Micron » Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:38 pm

I can't see that it will do any harm, but you may find the spot washer and a stiff brush may do the same thing?
Are you only putting the top parts in to the dishwasher, as I would have thought that the main part of the centre console wouldn't fit??
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

ICKLE
Site Admin

Post by ICKLE » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:11 pm

i know an old member that used to put all the plastic bits in a dishwasher and to be fair they came up bloody good ;) you can use a hot wash remember how much heat these take on a hot day in the sun so they can handle heat,,, but as trev says you will probably get the same result with a spot washer and good brush ;)

colinrush

Post by colinrush » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:05 pm

Think the top bits will see the dishwasher whilst the rest will get treated to the spot washer