Breakdown advice please. 16v probe1995

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
eric56m

Breakdown advice please. 16v probe1995

Post by eric56m » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:33 pm

Hi everyone, Yesterday afternoon, after driving approx 3 miles, the rev counter dropped to zero and the car glided to a safe stop. Had a quick look under the bonnet and made sure things looked connected ok.Tried a few minutes later and it started ok and I drove the other 10 or so miles home. This morning it wouldn't start, everything sounds normal apart from it not starting. Any advice please ( for me or him ) as I await the arrival of the 'Green Flag' breakdown man.

Micron
Site Admin

Re: Breakdown advice please. 16v probe1995

Post by Micron » Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:33 pm

Sounds like it could be the dizzy, he should look for a spark, which I'm sure he will. You may have to remind him that these cars are OBDI, NOT OBDII, so he will not be able to plug in any code readers.
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

eric56m

Post by eric56m » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:32 pm

When he arrived the green flag man had been led to believe it was a recovery and was not going to even have a look at it. It was the same man who came out to me last November, when I had the similar problem. I think he felt sorry for me and started to have a look, he thought it was the distributor and checked for a spark without success, I told him what had been done after the previous problem and I had a spare distributor. He looked at the cap which had a crack in it and some other signs of wear inside. He fitted the spare and eventually got a spark, but didn't have the neccessary tools to set the timing, he tried changing it 180 degrees and it was almost starting. He was being given other jobs and had to leave. He told the office he had been unable to fix it and I would need recovery to my regular garage when they could fit me in. So all is not lost, considering he wasn't expecting a repair and only had a socket set and some of my tools he really tried and was apologetic that he could'nt do more.

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:48 pm

Well let’s hope you can get it sorted.
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎