rear window liftgate assembly

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
geoffshaw2728

rear window liftgate assembly

Post by geoffshaw2728 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:58 pm

Hello

Grateful if you could help. I have a 2 litre probe 1986 and the lift gate wont rise. It may be that the struts are siezed or the hinges at the top.

How do I get access to the struts? There is no sign of them. Does the lining have to be removed first, clips?

any advice appreciated

thank you in advance

Geoff

Micron
Site Admin

Re: rear window liftgate assembly

Post by Micron » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:23 pm

Hi Geoff, are you sure it's a 1986 model, is it a LHD Gen 1 Ford Probe?
Does the tailgate open at all? when was the last time you opened it?
where roughly are you based, as someone maybe near to you who could take a look for you?
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:31 pm

:idea: Does the the key unlock, the latch :?:
What about the pull lever by the drivers seat :?:

Kit

geoffshaw2728

Post by geoffshaw2728 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:02 am

Thank you for your responses, Sorry it is 1994 M registration ford probe. The tailgate lifts up about 3 inches then hits a stop. I can sense tension at the upper left when looking from the back. Inside there is no visibility of the two struts, so will have to remove the inner trim which is difficult when tailgate won't open. So any suggestions welcome. I can ask the local garage to have a look, however the car is in the house garage and they may not be familiar with the probe. I have a Haynes manual which does not provide any clues of how to remove the inner trim. so any advice appreciated

thank you inavdance

Geoff Shaw

Helsby Cheshire, Wa6 9JX

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:13 am

Hi Geoff,
The struts are fixed on the side of the tailgate and in the side gutter of the tailgate opening, I hope that makes sense, I don't have access to my car, so I can't take any pictures, but maybe someone else can (hint hint).
Taking off any trim will not help you. It would be interesting to see some pictures of how your tailgate looks when you open it as far as you can?
The attached picture shows the struts the end with the plate attaches to the car near to the top of the opening, and the other end to the actual tailgate, so when it's open they will nearly line up with the tailgate. (If I'm wrong, someone will tell me, but you get the idea)

cpt black
Tech Rep

Post by cpt black » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:38 am

When was the last time the tailgate was used :?: is this project car that was brought :?:
you should get a click and pop up of the tailgate when using the key or inner boot lift

geoffshaw2728

Post by geoffshaw2728 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:13 pm

All

Many thanks for your help and guidance on this. The car has been in my garage for some years. Recently decided to do something about it. The tailgate would lift only 3 inches. With the help from "Micron" I spotted the struts. I had been looking elsewhere. The RH side strut had a visible movement of about 1 inch this being the amount of inner shiny strut visible. The LH strut had no signs of movement. So with a few gentle taps on the outer sleeve the strut released itself and the tailgate can be lifted all the way. Two new struts though needed.

Many thanks again for your help. I would otherwise have been floundering

Geoff Shaw

cpt black
Tech Rep

Post by cpt black » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:16 pm

Great news,have some for sale in the for sale section ;)

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:19 pm

I’m glad we could be of service, which must be worth £10 for full membership of any one’s money 🤣

I know a cheeky plug 🤣🤣🤣