Ignition relay

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Tott61

Ignition relay

Post by Tott61 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:37 pm

Ford Probe 1994 2.0

I was reading a post re bypassing the immobiliser and one of the comments was to jam the ignition relay closed with a matchstick.
Does this mean the start inhibitor relay and how do you take it apart to jam it closed

Micron
Site Admin

Re: Ignition relay

Post by Micron » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:20 pm

Tott61 wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:37 pm
Ford Probe 1994 2.0

I was reading a post re bypassing the immobiliser and one of the comments was to jam the ignition relay closed with a matchstick.
Does this mean the start inhibitor relay and how do you take it apart to jam it closed
It will be JRH that made that reference and I believe that it's a relay within the the Immobiliser, but I don't know which one it actually is?
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

jrh

Post by jrh » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:40 pm

First remove the immobiliser, not easy because of all the rivets , etc , but you will succeed eventually.
Unplug, remove the cover , inside you will see three identical small relays fixed to the circuit board.
Choose the right one ( ignition ) and remove the clear plastic cover , it pulls off.
You can see how the contacts are made to close by pressing on the steel 'bit' that is attracted by magnetism when the relay coil is energised.
The Matchstick is used to jam those contacts hard closed .
Job done.
The plastic lid can be left off, those contacts will never open again to get dirty.
Replace cover and plugs , fix immobiliser back with self tap screws.
Somewhere my dearly beloved M515 CEW is sitting with all that in place for over 200,000 miles.

Tott61

Post by Tott61 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:39 am

Thanks for that. If you use this method other than the usual bypass method will it alleviate the problems re the distributor failure

jrh

Post by jrh » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:15 pm

The answer to that is an 'enigma' , like 'the vaccine' it WILL prevent the immobiliser from causing the distributor failure BUT it will NOT
prevent distributor failure for 'other' reasons.
Other reasons being spark plug failure, overheated transistors in the distributor, leaving a HT lead disconnected and perhaps more.
It is ESSENTIAL that you carry a spare , known to be working distributor , at all times in the car.