Cambelt life

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Uncle Albert

Cambelt life

Post by Uncle Albert » Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:56 pm

Hi All,
I'm Carl. Just inherited my late fathers 2.5 24V. He had it from new in 1996 and it's still only got 17K on the clock.
It had a cambelt change 6 years ago, due mainly to lack of use ( he changed belts every 5 years regardless).
Is there maximum time period for belt life? I will be using it fairly regularly now.
Best regards
Carl

Micron
Site Admin

Re: Cambelt life

Post by Micron » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:40 pm

Hi Carl,
Welcome to the club.
Your father was spot on, the recommended time scales is either 60,000 miles or 5 years whatever comes sooner.

Thanks
Trev
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:19 pm

It’s a ‘non interference’ engine, so if the belt breaks it does no damage to the engine.
The ‘pulley’s become worn & noisy, then fail causes more damage

Kit

mojo98
Tech Rep

Post by mojo98 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:57 pm

Welcome to the club Carl, your late father did the right thing changing the belt at the correct time, even on the very low mileage car, its important to keep the correct servicing.
Duncan is correct about the engine, but can be a bit of the pain setting thing back up if a belt goes, and if you took it to the wrong garage, they would try on convince you that the engine has been damage, (totally untrue) I've had 2 belts snapped while driving, and even the RAC tried to tell me "well that's your engine shot" told him just to take me home and within a couple of days with another belt on it was back on the road👍
What colour is the car and any pictures

jrh

Post by jrh » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:13 pm

IF you replaced the cambelt with a MAZDA supplied DENSO belt THEN forget the 60k mile change, 120k should be an easy reach.
The DENSO belts ARE different from the cheaper alternatives , in thickness and no doubt , quality.
They are 3 times more expensive.
The carbon fibre should be unaffected by age and a stable 'rubber' good for 10+years.
Other makes ???

Uncle Albert

Post by Uncle Albert » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:30 pm

Hi Guys
Thanks for the replies. I guess the answer was in the question. Will get the it done soon as.
Always listen to your father!
Compliments of the season to all.
Uncle Albert.