Starting issue - maybe!

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Sunfly

Re: Starting issue - maybe!

Post by Sunfly » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:34 am

jheath17 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:34 pm
Thanks again, I have a contact cleaner spray so I will give that a go, Yes distributor is the likely problem, but what to buy ? a second hand one for £50 or a proper Mazda one for £200, I am thinking the later, the government is about to give me £200 winter fuel allowance, I an sure they wont mind me spending on a distributor. If anyone can recommend a supplier I would appreciate their advice.

I take your point about fault codes on CPS faults, how is the PCM know the difference between one on a vehicle with just the ignition switched on and one that's cranking with a faulty CPS.

One of my most treasured books is a Service training book dated 11/93 which was issued to Ford technicians at the vehicles launch, it tells my how they work but not how to fix them.
I'd agree with John regarding the dizzy as so far as I know, the Mitsubishi distributors are obsolete, plus they always cost way more than £200. There are aftermarket ones available (masquerading as new) but they have a dubious reputation.

Somewhere in my previous posts, if you can bear the pain, is a blog written by a Canadian guy who really knew his stuff. The blog was about codes, their symptoms and effects. It was superbly informative and from it I discovered that only two codes will equate to a fault that will intentionally stop the engine from starting when cranking. One was definitely the CPS whilst the other was (I think), the TDC sensor. I'll see if I can find it. When finding a dizzy make sure you get the make and model right from the label on your current dizzy. There were several iterations.

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:46 am

jheath17 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:34 pm
Thanks again, I have a contact cleaner spray so I will give that a go, Yes distributor is the likely problem, but what to buy ? a second hand one for £50 or a proper Mazda one for £200, I am thinking the later, the government is about to give me £200 winter fuel allowance, I an sure they wont mind me spending on a distributor. If anyone can recommend a supplier I would appreciate their advice.

I take your point about fault codes on CPS faults, how is the PCM know the difference between one on a vehicle with just the ignition switched on and one that's cranking with a faulty CPS.

One of my most treasured books is a Service training book dated 11/93 which was issued to Ford technicians at the vehicles launch, it tells my how they work but not how to fix them.
I'd agree with John regarding the dizzy as so far as I know, the Mitsubishi distributors are obsolete, plus they always cost way more than £200. There are aftermarket ones available (masquerading as new) but they have a dubious reputation.

Somewhere in my previous posts, if you can bear the pain, is a blog written by a Canadian guy who really knew his stuff. The blog was about codes, their symptoms and effects. It was superbly informative and from it I discovered that only two codes will equate to a fault that will intentionally stop the engine from starting when cranking. One was definitely the CPS whilst the other was (I think), the TDC sensor. I'll see if I can find it. When finding a dizzy make sure you get the make and model right from the label on your current dizzy. There were several iterations.

Found it and here it is.

https://forums.beyond.ca/archive/index.php/t-47452.html

Also if you find my post "Need some serious help please" written about springtime this year, there is an abstract of all the relevant data, cause and effect that I compiled for my own benefit. In my case, it pointed directly to the CPS Code 002, in your case, it doesn't!

Good luck!

jheath17

Post by jheath17 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:43 pm

I have been researching the distributors that are available from the USA, they all seem to use the same picture, they are claimed to be new, they are clones made in China. there is positive feed back if that's worth anything. Some are compatible up to 1995 other from 1996 onward, I assume the earlier ones are from when there was a Bosch immobiliser fitted and the later ones when there was a PATS immobiliser, just guessing.
The best price is £80 for the unit, £18 postage, and about £30 duty.
My finger is hovering over buy now, but ???

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:41 pm

jheath17 wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:43 pm
I have been researching the distributors that are available from the USA, they all seem to use the same picture, they are claimed to be new, they are clones made in China. there is positive feed back if that's worth anything. Some are compatible up to 1995 other from 1996 onward, I assume the earlier ones are from when there was a Bosch immobiliser fitted and the later ones when there was a PATS immobiliser, just guessing.
The best price is £80 for the unit, £18 postage, and about £30 duty.
My finger is hovering over buy now, but ???
John, now you are getting into very seriously slippery ground. John, JRH brought a new one back from the USA with all the right nameplate details and leant it to me when I had dizzy problems. It would start briefly but not run...! A repair shop here in the UK told me that the USA and UK dizzys were different, I believe an issue with the Hall Effect sensor setup. Do not press that button till you hear from John who will tell you the story. Got to go, I'm getting flashbacks about that particular problem. :x (I think I tried 4 or 5 dizzys before I got one that worked).

jrh

Post by jrh » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:59 pm

Stay away from USA.
Somehow, you need to find another two distributors exactly like yours.
Because you always need a spare.
No idea how trustworthy but sales@ignitioncarparts.co.uk may help.

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:21 pm

jrh wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:59 pm
Stay away from USA.
Somehow, you need to find another two distributors exactly like yours.
Because you always need a spare.
No idea how trustworthy but sales@ignitioncarparts.co.uk may help.
I've bought two from them. First was supposedly new but the spigot was 0.4mm undersize so a very loose fit in the rockerbox bore. 2nd one bought as a spare was physically correct but is untried as yet.
Buyer beware but not everything they do can be bad like No1 or theyed not stay in business.