Advice welcome - 16V resurrection after 10 years.

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
AlistairMcNeill

Advice welcome - 16V resurrection after 10 years.

Post by AlistairMcNeill » Sun May 31, 2020 11:25 pm

Hi,

This is my first post, so go easy on me.

I have a 1995 16V Probe that I purchased in 2009 (it was my second Probe, both white 16V and drove with no problems). I then stopped using the car in May 2010, as I was using other company cars. It was serviced just before I stopped driving it. I used to run the engine for 10-15 minutes every weekend for a month or so, then it was left. Battery then died and I just covered the car and didnt bother with it for about 4-5 years. The car cover was destroyed by a particularly bad storm one night, so it has been exposed to the elements for about 5 years. It was always my intention to get round to get the car back on the road, and now is the time (maybe).

The car has only done 30k miles from new (it has a long history of sitting idle). The body and paintwork are in reasonable condition. there are a few small rust spots on sunroof and driver door sill, but nothing too bad.

Tyres are all needing replaced, along with brake calipers I would imagine. Exhaust will need replaced (it was an advisory on MOT before it went into its hiatus), new battery needed.

The main problem that I have is that I discovered that I had a puddle in the passenger side footwell. Unknown to me, the window seals were leaking and when it rained it was leaking into the car. I have dried it out and covered the window seals, but what damage could have this done, anything fatal?

I am based in Glasgow and would be grateful if anyone could recommend a Probe experienced mechanic or garage that could have a lookover the car and give me the bad/good news. I know that some of the garages haven't a clue with Probes, so any advice is welcome.

Does anyone have any knowledge of similar projects and any idea of costs to get it back on the road?

Once lockdown is lifted I will have it taken to garage to get an estimate of cost. If its less that £1k I will be happy.

Any comments/advice welcome.

Cheers,

jrh

Re: Advice welcome - 16V resurrection after 10 years.

Post by jrh » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:43 am

DO NOT put a new battery on and turn the key !
Plugs out, thin oil in, O/S front wheel off the ground ,in gear, turn the wheel for half an hour by hand, try to get the engine to turn clockwise.
Put it all back together, check oil/water /fuel level, new battery, turn the key.

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:32 am

Rust to to the rear cills is on area to look at.
It’s unlikely, the door seals are leaking. More likely the drain tubes from the sun roof tray are blocked. Take the A pilar moulding & sun visor off, to get behind the roof lining. The get to the drain tube, remember to clean out any rust/muck in the sun roof tray.

Kit

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:21 pm

I can have a word with Paul Kelly, who lives in Glasgow, he might be able to pop round to take a look and advise you?
I might have to pass on some details of yours to him if that is ok?
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

AlistairMcNeill

Post by AlistairMcNeill » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:01 am

Hi Micron, thanks for that. I am happy for you to pass on my details. Let me know if you need anything else.

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:33 pm

Hi Alistair,

I have spoken with Paul Kelly and he is happy to help, have a search for Paul K on here and I would send him an email rather than a PM. If you have no luck PM me some contact details and I will pass them on.

Trev
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎