Need some serious help please

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
cpt black
Tech Rep

Re: Need some serious help please

Post by cpt black » Mon May 25, 2020 3:56 pm

No Prob,s Bob pm your details and and we will get it sorted
Kev

Kit
Tech Rep

Post by Kit » Mon May 25, 2020 7:05 pm

Have you tried the magical trick of the CPS plug :?:

Kit

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Mon May 25, 2020 10:51 pm

Kit wrote: โ†‘
Mon May 25, 2020 7:05 pm
Have you tried the magical trick of the CPS plug :?:

Kit
First thing I tried Duncan. Maybe I should check again though but it looked pretty good to me. Nice and clean.

Jon G 24V
Tech Rep

Post by Jon G 24V » Tue May 26, 2020 11:32 am

Hey Bob.

If the CPS Plug is good then I agree it's probably the Dissy.
Kaz had it one time on a 96. Left home running spot on and went to a local shop 1/2 mile away.
Came out of the shop and it was dead wouldn't start at all. I took a spare Dissy out to her changed it in the Car Park, Car Fired up and drove it home.๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Tue May 26, 2020 5:40 pm

Jon G 24V wrote: โ†‘
Tue May 26, 2020 11:32 am
Hey Bob.

If the CPS Plug is good then I agree it's probably the Dissy.
Kaz had it one time on a 96. Left home running spot on and went to a local shop 1/2 mile away.
Came out of the shop and it was dead wouldn't start at all. I took a spare Dissy out to her changed it in the Car Park, Car Fired up and drove it home.๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Thanks Jon, its good to know you agree.

I too, am of the way of thinking that with a Probe... all faults... no matter what they are... including slow punctures and noisy windscreen wiper blades are actually dizzy faults. That has always been my bitter experience!
Only thing that threw me was the pesky console engine light which the bible describes as being "fuel shut off" or something similar AND the unusual fact that it gave me no warning (they've always played me up before). So I started looking at the fuel switch.

Just out of interest, how many faults will bring up that warning? Am I right in thinking its the fuel shut off switch (operated) or dizzy, or immobiliser? If that is the case then the dizzy is indeed indicated as the switch is definitely OK and the dizzy has 12v from the ignition at the dizzy multiplug from which I reason that the immobiliser must be OK or I presume it would cut the power supply to the dizzy?
Anyway, Kev, who is an absolute gentleman, is going to send me a known good one to try so we will soon know the truth! :D

cpt black
Tech Rep

Post by cpt black » Wed May 27, 2020 9:51 am

PM, SENT

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Wed May 27, 2020 6:32 pm

cpt black wrote: โ†‘
Mon May 25, 2020 3:29 pm
Believe the engine light on is the Alternator at fault have you checked the voltage from
the battery when cranking should be appx 14/14.5/does she spin over ok,but no fire up :?:
if so you have starter thats ok,there for lies in the dissy/or aftermarket alarm if you have one
cutting the other 2 circuits out if a Temic they do fail not often,have you tried a OEM dissy replacement
for the oem number(exact) as some dont work,when you replace the dissy link the box out aswell
Sorry I missed this one, but the engine cranks really well so I've no concerns about the battery and no aftermarket alarm, but I'd still be very interested in the procedure for linking out the temic immobiliser as it has a reputation for damaging the dizzy???. Either way its one less thing to worry about! I think there was a procedure in the garage before the crash, but I seem to remember reading that it was not recoverable. If there is any info on it, I'd be very grateful.

jrh

Post by jrh » Thu May 28, 2020 8:45 am

For sure the Bosch immobiliser played it's part in many a dizzy failure because of the size of the miniature relay contacts.
However, I always envied those with the Temic system as I perceived it to be totally reliable.
Now, I don't know.
Remember ,I did have a dizzy failure that wasn't.
One of three little flat spring flaps inside the rotor arm had fallen off and got mashed up by the castellated timing washer , the bits sticking to
the Hall Effect magnets !!
So always worth a look under the dizzy cap.
One thing for sure, Ford made an awful mistake with that ignition system and were punished in one of the States in the USA, but got away with it here.

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Sat May 30, 2020 5:34 pm

Sad to say that I tried a good dizzy lent by Kev (who has been a great support behind the scenes on the PM system as always) and still no start and no spark. Kev sent two so I will try the other on Monday, however he mentioned the key battery (I've got a chipped key being a late 97) and so I thought I'd give it a practical test for the anti theft system, in the form of the immobiliser and Central Processing Unit or CPU.

So I unlocked the car, dropped the window, locked the car, opened it from the inside button and all hell broke loose! Then I realised I'd forgotten how to reset it! Into the car and switched the ignition on an off a few times and eventually it went off but the book says just to switch the ignition ON which I did so I'm not sure why it didn't immediately reset. Anyway, I lock it again and watch...! Solid light for about 10 seconds then an intermittent flash of about 5 seconds. All seems OK there. Tried it several times and OK each time so to me that suggests the key and CPU are OK even if the immobiliser has a problem.

Then I have a check of the console and the handbook once more. Here's the console after its gone through its check sequence and I'm sat in and belted up etc, i.e. everything else like handbrake, airbags etc are all OK and checked off.

And here's what is says in the handbook about that warning.

Page 66 (actually 68) gives a reset sequence which I have tried several times without success.

Its been mentioned that this warning indicates the alternator and possibly it does indicate other things (i.e. dizzy). It describes the alarm as a fuel injection safety switch, so what operates that function that is clearly preventing the engine from running. Its certainly right about the engine not starting when that lights lit... I can friggin vouch for that!

All that said, everyone I talk to now favours the crank position sensor CPS, so my next job is to check that through after swapping over to Kev's other dizzy.

Any suggestions gratefully received and my thanks once more to Kev. PS. The batter volts is showing low after so much cranking but it tested at 12.3 immediately after the photo.

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Sat May 30, 2020 11:34 pm

I found this very useful link when looking for "Check Engine Light" faults.

https://forums.beyond.ca/archive/index.php/t-47452.html

Unlike the manual it give a good description of each sensor, where its located, what it does and the effect it has on the engine, i.e. no start, reduced power etc. I learnt a lot.