Cam cover gaskets.

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Donner1

Cam cover gaskets.

Post by Donner1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:20 pm

Hiya. My probe 24v will not behave. Went to change the spark plugs and leads to find oil in 4 of the 6 spark plug holes. Can anyone recommend a good brand to use as a few on rock auto? Has anyone got the how to guide that was on Oracle?
Many thanks

fuerte

Re: Cam cover gaskets.

Post by fuerte » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:11 am

I have used BGA this and last car and I research for fun on parts manufacturers.Touch wood worked well for me and noticed incognito was fiting BGA on his at propefest too.
Never done myself so check but believe you need sealant too.

mojo98
Tech Rep

Post by mojo98 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:43 am

Donner1 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:20 pm
Hiya. My probe 24v will not behave. Went to change the spark plugs and leads to find oil in 4 of the 6 spark plug holes. Can anyone recommend a good brand to use as a few on rock auto? Has anyone got the how to guide that was on Oracle?
Many thanks
4 out of 6 means that both cover gaskets will need doing, so that means the IM has to come off and then you will need IM gaskets as well, big job if you haven't do it before, and RTV sealant
Front cover very easy to do, just don't over tighten the bolts when you put them back in, and plenty of RTV sealant on the corners, then leave your car for 24hrs before starting it up,
will try and upload something later
Rockauto parts MAHLE, IM & rocker gaskets posted £47.86 , but you may have to pay tax on them

fuerte

Post by fuerte » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:56 am

If you go for bga I have part numbers for them and you can get off ebay but I would go for mojos recommendation over mine as he has more experience than me.

Donner1

Post by Donner1 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:56 am

Parts ordered from rock auto.
Many thanks for the advice.

fuerte

Post by fuerte » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:22 pm

Great let us know when fixed.

Alan8086

Post by Alan8086 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:28 pm

I've done the full gasket change on my Probe GT - done it twice in fact on the same job.

BGA was the gasket brand - mostly as that what ebay has!

it took me an age the first attempt. I always take ridiculously long with anything first time - second time its done in a day and i look back and wonder what the fuss was about!

It isn't that difficult - just time consuming having to remove everything the inlet manifold is connected to etc. A bit worrying first time due to all the vacuum hoses etc. On mine THAT annoying bolt that is buried down the back of the manifold was absent fortunately.

I used this:

http://www.fordprobe24v.com/index.php?p ... it&lang=en

- and printed out the VRIS/vacuum hose diagrams.

Once I had the manifold off, I took off the rocker covers and bathed/scrubbed them in petrol in a big plastic tote.
Used a small flat screwdriver to remove the old gasket cement from the recess around the edges of the covers
Bathed the covers in strong washing powder solution in the same tote - they come up wonderfully clean and grease free - dried with gentle hot air gun application.

Also cleaned up the mating face on both Cam heads - get rid of old sealant and wipe repeatedly with petrol soaked rag until it wipes clean. Pay special attention to the rear head as you dont want an oil leak and a repeat performance! The oil pools down the back of the rear cam head so that gasket seal has to be good!

I used black RTV sealant from a local car shop on the rocker covers in the gasket recess - then eased the gaskets into place. The sealant keeps the gasket in place while the cover is upside down as you re fit the cover.

Also apply sealant on the cam head faces - let it go off a bit before reassembling the cam covers to the heads. Don't forget sealant around the spark plug recesses. Try not to over apply as you don't want dried bits dropping off and blocking the oilways!

- Get a low - torque torque wrench too. I guestimated the cam cover bolt torques the first time and got it wrong - the gaskets still leaked oil, hence why it took two attempts! Once the cam cover heads where torqued down, i ran my finger along where the gasket is and smeared the excess sealant that oozed out - filled any gaps and looks a bit tidyer. Got it right second time around and its been fine ever since.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142505186460

You may see some improvement in performance too. The GT engine relies a lot on a good vacuum throughout for VRIS operation, Idle etc so closing up oil leaks may also close up air leaks? I know mine ran a heck of a lot better once I'd done the gaskets. Cleaning carbon out of the air inlet valve area may have helped too.

I tried to replace the manifold gaskets too - eBay sent the wrong one for the front section so i reused the old one with a bit of RTV on both.

Be careful when unbolting the fuel pipe union - replace both copper washers with new ones. Got mine from The Range. The have a surprisingly good tools/car parts section!

While you are at it, you could replace all the vacuum hoses with coloured silicone pipes. SOmeone suggested using different colour according to use - VRIS/EGR etc. I secured my vacuum hoses with small cable ties before reassembling the manifold to the engine.

A telescopic magnet is also good to have - helps start off the manifold screws / bolts in their threads and its easier to retrieve dropped bolts from that cave beneath the manifold.

There is also a coolant pipe that is worth replacing under the manifold.

Sorry for the book!

Donner1

Post by Donner1 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:42 pm

Thanks very interesting info

Bikergonebald

Post by Bikergonebald » Sun May 03, 2020 9:34 am

I need to do this job.
Does anyone have a list of the gaskets needed? Is it just the inlet manifold and cam covers?
Thanks
Kevin
Owner of a 1992 Mazda MX-6 Auto, 2001 Jaguar XK8 and 1982 Honda CB900c.
Sorry guys I don’t have a probe (yet ;) ) I’m asking questions here because I get better responses than on the US Mazda forum.