Starting

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Caprobe

Starting

Post by Caprobe » Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:34 pm

After finally sourcing and fitting an airbag module, the airbag light has stopped flashing. However, when I start the car, it fires up immediately but as soon as I touch the accelerator pedal it starts spluttering and cuts out, if I really rev it, it coughs and splutters and nearly cuts out but manages to stay running, then it ticks over nicely. The car’s not had a proper run for several months, just up and down the drive. 1995 2.0 Any suggestions? Thanks

jhogan_13

Re: Starting

Post by jhogan_13 » Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:56 pm

Mine is doing this currently where it will run and splutter a little bit while idling and then when you plant you foot on the accelerator the car tries to cut out and will not rev

But you can rev it by gently bringing up the revs
I replaced the spark plugs, leads, distributor cap and rotor, fuel filter, and did a fuel pressure test which was A1

Brought it to my mechanic then and he narrowed the problem down to being the distributor itself, where it's not producing enough of a spark and sometimes not producing any spark at all, which is causing misfires, spluttering when idling, and no acceleration under load.

So I have ordered a new distributor now from ignitioncarparts.co.uk now and am just waiting for it to come to fit it. I will let you know if it solves my issues!

From what I have read it seems to be a common issue for these distributors to give issues.

Because yours is 1995 I'm not sure whether yours would have the S3 or S1 distributor but you will be able to tell from the design of the cap. The S3 has 4 straight connectors whereas the S1 cap has the connectors angled to one side as far as I know.

I also learned that the coil and the cam sensor is built into the S3 distributor hence it only having 4 connectors, so it could be the actual coil that's worn but you will need to replace the entire distributor due to the coil being built in or you can send it to ignitioncarparts and they will recondition it for you, but I'm not sure how much cheaper that would be and it will take longer than just buying a new one. And because I am impatient I just spent the money for a new one :D

Hope this helps!

Caprobe

Post by Caprobe » Wed Jul 24, 2024 4:25 am

Thanks for the reply mate, it’s an s1 distributor, but I had it replaced last year with a new one as after about 20 minutes of running, the engine would cut out and not restart until it cooled down, now it’s the opposite, it splutters when I first start it but then runs fine, if I turn it off and restart straight away it still splutters when pressing the accelerator, but once it’s been running a few minutes and warmed up , it will start normally, it was running fine till I stopped using it, cheers

jrh

Post by jrh » Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:26 am

Maybe TPS or IAC , especially as it has not been run for a while.

jhogan_13

Post by jhogan_13 » Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:19 am

If it has been sitting for a while, the old petrol in the tank could be causing issues. Apparently, the ethanol in e10 petrol can absorb a lot of water over time and the petrol itself will be less combustible.

Could also try replacing the spark plugs and leads if you haven't done so already?

You could try disconnecting a few of the sensors 1 by one to see if there is any difference in the engine while it's running. If there is that will more than likely mean the sensor is doing its job and if there is no change then that sensor could be faulty.
The likes of the TPS and IAC as mentioned, MAF, and oxygen sensors

I'd also check the vacuum lines and PCV valve as a leak could cause unmetered air to get into the system and lead to engine issues.

I'm afraid that's as far as my knowledge goes then.

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:47 am

Have you had the battery disconnected for a period of time? If you have, your ECU has to learn every thing again, are you able to take it for a run.
You mentioned that the dizzy has been replaced, was it a new one or used, has anything under the bonnet been moved or tampered with?
How are the water levels, are they full to the top?
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

Caprobe

Post by Caprobe » Wed Jul 24, 2024 3:56 pm

I’ve been regularly moving the car up and down the drive and putting fresh petrol in as and when. The dissy was a new one, I disconnected the battery overnight and charged it when I replaced the airbag module, but nothing else under the bonnet has been touched, now the airbags sorted, I’ll tax it on the 1st and take it for a run, I’ll check the water levels both sides at the weekend. Thanks for your advice guys 👍😁