High rpm idle, and bogging out

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Jake

High rpm idle, and bogging out

Post by Jake » Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:39 pm

So ive replaced the tbps, but the problem is still there apparently i need to replace the idle control valve aswell but cant find any for sale, does anyone have a working full throttle body with the control valve, its really bugging me, i have messed about with the little idle screw but it doesnt bring the idle down enough

jrh

Re: High rpm idle, and bogging out

Post by jrh » Sun Jul 07, 2024 3:37 pm

Double check that there are no little air/vac pipes left unconnected anywhere , especially the hidden one to the air intake
assembly.

Jake

Post by Jake » Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:55 pm

There all connected no leaks or owt, i think i need a new control valve but cant find any for sale

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:54 pm

Sounds like coking up of the thermoststic throttle control valve if its a 16v.

Very, very carefully take it apart and clean it (in situ). Watch out for the spring.

It was a regular 2 - 3 year job on the Flying Machine.

Make sure your water level is correct and check that first.

Jake

Post by Jake » Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:15 pm

Okay thanks, was looking at taking it off the other day but it one of the screws is in a awkward place may have to take the throttle body off to get it off or something, how would you suggest getting it off?

Sunfly

Post by Sunfly » Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:14 am

I wouldnt. I was always able to take out the 4 screws holding the waxstat valve cover on with the body in situ. My memory is hazy as I havent don this in years but from memory engine coolant flows past a wax operated piston that in turn regulates the tickover air volume. This whole mechanism gets clogged with carbon that you need to get rid of with a solvent. (avoid the wax mech).

You havent said if you are 16v or 24v and the above only applies to the 16v. Disclaimer! Ive not fiddled with this mech for over ten years but beware parts poping out as you dismantle. Put a catchment sheet under the throttle body before you start. There is a light spring involved. 1 hour job.

Jake

Post by Jake » Thu Jul 11, 2024 4:10 pm

Ahh okay thanks for that, yeh i have a 16v just got it last june as my first car ever, been working on cars my whole 19 years of life though with my dad, and thought this wiuld be great as a project (which i have now found out it isnt 🤣)

Micron
Site Admin

Post by Micron » Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:28 am

Jake wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2024 4:10 pm
Ahh okay thanks for that, yeh i have a 16v just got it last June as my first car ever, been working on cars my whole 19 years of life though with my dad, and thought this would be great as a project (which i have now found out it isn't 🤣)
Why do you think that it's not great as a project?
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

Jake

Post by Jake » Fri Jul 12, 2024 4:17 pm

Just things are more expensive than some other cars i were looking at, dont get me wrong i love the car, it grows more and more on me each day, my mates brother. In law has one, i remember seeing it fir the first time ever about 6 year ago and i fell in love ever since, just didnt realise how hard parts were to find, and the only place i can find some help is here (ukpoc) whereas some of the more common cars you can just look up on YouTube how to do something, but i do love the car