Stretch bolts

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Funokata

Stretch bolts

Post by Funokata » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:22 am

Hi all, just wanted to gather some opinions on the use of head stretch bolts. I've just rebuilt the heads on my 2.5 probe as some of you know, only to find the piston rings need doing.

To say I'm frustrated as I only just had the heads off would be an understatement but still...every day's a school day.

I bought all new gaskets, seals and bolts etc for the heads the first time around. Obviously I'll be buying new head gaskets now that I'm taking it apart again, but what would your thoughts be on re-using stretch bolts? I've driven 200 miles since they were installed brand new.

Micron
Site Admin

Re: Stretch bolts

Post by Micron » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:19 am

I will give you my view and experience, but the choice will still be yours.

I had the heads off of my 24v, replaced the head gaskets and everything, but then had some doubt as to whether I had put the gaskets on correctly, so I took them off again. I used the same bolts, as the car hadn't actually turn a wheel, but the bolts had been tightened up to the correct torque.

I have done two 500+ mile trips with the car, with no major issues, so as I say, the choice is yours.
Admin and Owner of this fine club 😎

Kit
Tech Rep

Re: Stretch bolts

Post by Kit » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:08 pm

I would say, inspect each bolt for any damage
If, OK use them again ;)

Kit