Starting issue - maybe!

For all technical questions. VIEWABLE without login, you need to register (free) to be able to post a question.
Sunfly
Full Member
Posts: 598
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:11 am
Been thanked: 3 times

Starting issue - maybe!

Post by Sunfly » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:52 pm

I went to start the flying machine this afternoon, (not been started for about 3-4 weeks) and I had to crank it three times and that's very unusual. Normally it fires straight away, particularly, if its not been run for a while. I'm getting twitchy because it was also a bit reluctant on one occasion when we were away in St Ives, but only the once.

When it did start (after a bit of throttle - I don't normally give it throttle) it started a little bit rough for a second or two then settled down to running as smooth as ever but a rough start is also unusual. Prime suspect for any running problem for me is always the dizzy, but I also think it true that you usually get the gypsies warning in the form of lumpy running and cutting out etc, etc before catastrophe strikes. So I am inclined to wonder if its fuel related and in particular, fuel getting drained back to the tank, instead of keeping the rail and the supply lines primed. I don't know what its called but I think there is a pressure related non return valve in there somewhere?

I don't know if that is a sensible comment, but I am open to suggestions on what it might be. I doubt its the fuel filter as it ran beautifully on the St Ives trip but its done maybe 20k so I will change it next spring just for good housekeeping.

mojo98
Area Rep
Posts: 1421
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:52 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Starting issue - maybe!

Post by mojo98 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:33 pm

Don't know really what to say, it could be petrol related, it's not happen to me
But I always turn the key and wait until the warning lights go out,(giving it time to prime up the system) then dip the clutch and without touching the accelerater, only then do I turn the key,

And when it doesn't fire up 1st time, (this has happen on my gold and Lazer in the past) I jump out and disconnect the crankcase sensor give it a clean and reconnect the go through my normal start up (as above) and always fires.

Could be fuel filter, mind you never change it on the Gold probe since I bought it.
I know you keep it service regularly, could be just the plugs may need a clean?
So not very helpful, sorry

jrh
Full Member
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:08 pm
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Starting issue - maybe!

Post by jrh » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:21 pm

I would have the same thing occasionally, usually after a longer than few days without running and in cold, damp weather.
Probably a plug or lead affected by conditions, once warmed up it was fine.

cpt black
Tech Rep
Posts: 1021
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:28 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Starting issue - maybe!

Post by cpt black » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:33 am

Would go by the the advice from Malc/John but have a look at the plugs
as a Cam cover gasket may be failing and oil getting to plugs

Sunfly
Full Member
Posts: 598
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:11 am
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Starting issue - maybe!

Post by Sunfly » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:55 am

mojo98 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:33 pm
Don't know really what to say, it could be petrol related, it's not happen to me
But I always turn the key and wait until the warning lights go out,(giving it time to prime up the system) then dip the clutch and without touching the accelerater, only then do I turn the key,

And when it doesn't fire up 1st time, (this has happen on my gold and Lazer in the past) I jump out and disconnect the crankcase sensor give it a clean and reconnect the go through my normal start up (as above) and always fires.

Could be fuel filter, mind you never change it on the Gold probe since I bought it.
I know you keep it service regularly, could be just the plugs may need a clean?
So not very helpful, sorry
Hi Malcolm.

By crankcase sensor can I assume you mean the crank position sensor? Sorry to be pedantic but there is also a vacuum valve on the rocker box. That will stop the engine if letting air in
. If its the CPS its just been renewed and in addition, my reading of the management system is that a faulty cps will allow the engine to keep running but not allow a start which it eventually did. Maybe I'm over worrying the problem and I need to get my hands dirty with plugs and leads.

mojo98
Area Rep
Posts: 1421
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:52 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Starting issue - maybe!

Post by mojo98 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:26 pm

Sunfly wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:55 am
mojo98 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:33 pm
Don't know really what to say, it could be petrol related, it's not happen to me
But I always turn the key and wait until the warning lights go out,(giving it time to prime up the system) then dip the clutch and without touching the accelerater, only then do I turn the key,

And when it doesn't fire up 1st time, (this has happen on my gold and Lazer in the past) I jump out and disconnect the crankcase sensor give it a clean and reconnect the go through my normal start up (as above) and always fires.

Could be fuel filter, mind you never change it on the Gold probe since I bought it.
I know you keep it service regularly, could be just the plugs may need a clean?
So not very helpful, sorry
Hi Malcolm.

By crankcase sensor can I assume you mean the crank position sensor? Sorry to be pedantic but there is also a vacuum valve on the rocker box. That will stop the engine if letting air in
. If its the CPS its just been renewed and in addition, my reading of the management system is that a faulty cps will allow the engine to keep running but not allow a start which it eventually did. Maybe I'm over worrying the problem and I need to get my hands dirty with plugs and leads.
Yes your correct about the CPS, if faulty engine won't start,
So roll up your sleeves and dig in, or just see how thing go, it may have been a bit of dampness.

our cars can be funny at times, like I said if mine doesn't fire 1st time I know that I have to disconnect the CPS and reconnect it then it fires, how strange is that, 🤔🤔

Sunfly
Full Member
Posts: 598
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:11 am
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Starting issue - maybe!

Post by Sunfly » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:33 pm

mojo98 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:26 pm
Sunfly wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:55 am
mojo98 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:33 pm
Don't know really what to say, it could be petrol related, it's not happen to me
But I always turn the key and wait until the warning lights go out,(giving it time to prime up the system) then dip the clutch and without touching the accelerater, only then do I turn the key,

And when it doesn't fire up 1st time, (this has happen on my gold and Lazer in the past) I jump out and disconnect the crankcase sensor give it a clean and reconnect the go through my normal start up (as above) and always fires.

Could be fuel filter, mind you never change it on the Gold probe since I bought it.
I know you keep it service regularly, could be just the plugs may need a clean?
So not very helpful, sorry
Hi Malcolm.

By crankcase sensor can I assume you mean the crank position sensor? Sorry to be pedantic but there is also a vacuum valve on the rocker box. That will stop the engine if letting air in
. If its the CPS its just been renewed and in addition, my reading of the management system is that a faulty cps will allow the engine to keep running but not allow a start which it eventually did. Maybe I'm over worrying the problem and I need to get my hands dirty with plugs and leads.
Yes your correct about the CPS, if faulty engine won't start,
So roll up your sleeves and dig in, or just see how thing go, it may have been a bit of dampness.

our cars can be funny at times, like I said if mine doesn't fire 1st time I know that I have to disconnect the CPS and reconnect it then it fires, how strange is that, 🤔🤔
Dodgy connection I guess. Trouble is, before I realised the exceptional value of a subscription to UKPOC and the access it gave to so many erudite guru's, (was that OK Trev), I kept on buying distributors every 30 to 35k miles! Seven in all for my 16v.
So now its left me with a mental health issue as they say. Every time I put the key in the ignition I always wonder if its going to start. Love the car but not the tempramental electronics. Had a busy day today sweeping leaves so I'll take a look nex weekend.

Micron
Site Admin
Posts: 1091
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:08 pm
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Starting issue - maybe!

Post by Micron » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:14 pm

Bob, if I knew what it meant I could disagree with you 🤔😄

Jon G 24V
Tech Rep
Posts: 508
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:05 pm
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Starting issue - maybe!

Post by Jon G 24V » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:12 pm

I'd start with simple as it could just be a bit of damp given the time of year etc 😎

jheath17
Full Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Starting issue - maybe!

Post by jheath17 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:23 pm

I am sorry to interrupt your conversation but when you are referring to the CPS connector are you talking about the one under the bonnet under the coolant hose or the one under the car?
I ask this because I am currently experiencing a hesitation /cutting out problem on my car, the other night it would not start when visiting a friend (had to use their Volvo to get home).
Next day I wiggled the under bonnet CPS connector and it started.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests